Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Month of Ups and Downs!

This month I was able to accomplish reaching 3 mile marker and then the 4 mile marker! Hooray for me. I still do not enjoy the sweating and the running but the 9 pound weight loss and the drop in pants size I do enjoy! I have logged over 60 miles since the purchase of my nike plus sneakers! Now that makes me feel great!

Now, for the downs of the month :(. I strained my medial collateral ligament in my right knee. I did this on Sunday August 1st , while running at camp. I ran 3 miles on Monday at home with my dear husband but my knee hurt during and after the run that I decided I better rest a few days before running again. I took Tuesday and Wednesday off from running but my knee did not feel any better. Friday morning I hopped on the treadmill and raised the incline to 10 and did a really fast walk for 30 minutes. I had to hang on for the entire 30 minutes because I could feel the soreness in my knee when I let go. I figured I had enough and called the doctor! There was no way I wanted to injure my right knee to the point of not being able to run again.

I was able to get into the doctors office on Friday morning and what a relief to find that I had only sprained/strained my ligament in my knee and did not tear it or dislocate my knee cap. I was told to wear a brace for a week, while walking, to prevent my knee from moving side to side. Apparently this is the motion that caused the bruised ligament. I did find out that running on a crown road or stepping on a stone can cause this same sideways motion and that I am to avoid. I can walk for a week with the brace, this will help prevent the sideways motion and then after that I can start running but only slowly at first. I am only to start with a half a mile and work up from there.

Even though I complained about running and sweating in the beginning, I feel sad now that I cannot do it. I know this is just a temporary setback, but the health benefits I have gained have been awesome and I do not want that to go away. I feel better than ever and I am really proud that I could get this far.

Keep watching cause I am coming back!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment